Qayoom Khan
Srinagar, June 22 (GNS): A 22-year old youth was killed and 70 protesters were injured after massive clashes rocked Kakapora and Awantipora areas of Pulwama district against the killings of three Lashkar-e-Toiba militants on Thursday. Thousands of people attended the funerals of militants and civilian.
Thousands converged at Kakapora to attend the funerals of Majid Mir alias Abbas and Shakir Ahmad. The funerals of the two militants, whose faces had severe burn injuries, were hold jointly and the duo was draped in blankets. Mourners that included men, women and children staged massive anti-India and pro-militant protests on the occasion.
Reports said that amid anger and rage, the funeral of the duo was held in which thousands participated. Later amid massive sloganeering, the duo was laid to rest in local martyrs’ graveyard. After the burial, massive clashes between youth and government forces erupted at Kakapora. According to witnesses, forces used scores of teargas shells and fired pellets indiscriminately on stone-throwing youth.
Sources said 22-year old Tawseef Ahmad Wani of Tengpuna village received a serious injury in his abdomen and head after hit by tear smoke shell. Wani was immediately shifted to nearby hospital where doctors declared him brought dead, they said. Police said after the burial of militants, “a violent mob attacked Police Post Kakapora”.
“In order to save lives and government property, the security forces used riot control measures in which one person identified as Tawseef Ahmad @Chota Geelani resident of Tengpuna Pulwama was injured,” the police spokesman said, adding: “The injured was shifted to hospital for treatment where he succumbed to his injuries.”
Police claimed that the slain youth was a “chronic stone pelter and was involved in 10 stone pelting cases right from 2010 and has been earlier booked two times under PSA”. After news about death of youth spread, the clashes intensified in Kakapora and also spread to Pulwama Town. Sources said a total of 70 protesters are injured and 16 of them have been referred to Srinagar.
The funeral of third militant, Irshad Ahmad of Aghanjipora, Awantipora, was also attended by thousands of people amid anti-India protests. Witnesses said the slain was laid to rest amid sobs and tears. Reports said that after the burial, youth clashed with government in the area as well as at Dangerpora and near Srinagar-Jammu National Highway at Awantipora Town.
Due to clashes near Highway, the traffic was partially blocked. To protest the militant and civil killings, a spontaneous shutdown was observed at Newa, Samboora and few other areas of the Pulwama district. Reports from Shopian said that students clashed with government forces in Main Town against Kakapora killings. (GNS)