12 police, CRPF men hurt; 4 rifles decamped from Retired CJ’s house

Sarfaraz Ah Lone / Qayoom Khan

Srinagar, June 13: Militants on Tuesday carried out series of attacks on government forces’ installations from evening till late hours across Kashmir in which 12 police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel were injured while four rifles were decamped from the guard room of residence of retired Jammu and Kashmir High Court’s Chief Justice. The attacks rattled the security grid and a high alert was sounded to prevent further attacks.

The first attack occurred at Tral in southern Pulwama district where militants hurled a grenade on a CRPF camp. A police official said that the militants lobbed a grenade on 180 Battalion CRPF camp at Lariyar which exploded with a big bang. He said ten CRPF men were hurt as they received splinters of the grenade. All the injured CRPF men were shifted to Army’s 92 Base Hospital Srinagar. Hizbul Mujahideen claimed responsibility for the attack.

The attack was followed by another at Padgampora in Awantipora area of the Pulwama district where militants hurled a grenade on 130 battalion CRPF camp but no one was injured. The area was cordoned off following the grenade hurling attack on paramilitary.

Militants carried out a raid on the residence of retired Chief Justice of J&K High Court, Justice Muzaffar Attar, at Anchidoora area of Anantnag district. Sources said the militants barged into police post guarding Justice Muzaffar Attar’s house and fired upon cops. In the firing, two policemen including Constable Mohammad Shafi and SPO Bilal Ahmad sustained bullet wounds.

Shortly after the firing, the militants decamped with four SLR rifles from the guard room and fled. Following the incident, a huge contingent of forces including army, police and CRPF arrived on the spot and launched a hunt to nab the attackers. Shortly afterwards, the militants fired upon a CRPF camp at Sarbal village of Pahalgam in Anantnag district but there was no injury to anyone.

After Sarbal, militants hurled a hand grenade on police station Pulwama which exploded with a huge bang. The cops on duty retailed by resorting to heavy firing but there were no injuries to either side. Heavy stone-pelting clashes erupted later in Pulwama Town between youth and government forces.

The militants’ minutes again later hurled a grenade on Army’s 22 RR camp in Sopore Town of north Kashmir which exploded without causing any injury to anyone. At all these places, the government forces launched cordon operations to nab the attackers but no one was arrested so far.

The militants launched another attack in Tral area against the forces this late evening when they hurled a grenade on Army’42 RR camp at Loragam. There was some exchange of gunfire but no one was hurt.

A police official told news agency GNS that they already had an input about the possible attacks on government forces today. “Today was seventeenth of Ramadhan which marks the anniversary of Battle of Badr. We already had an input that militants may launch ‘symbolic’ attacks today,” he said, adding that a high alert has been sounded across the region to foil further attacks.